We’re recruiting! We’re looking for a bright and hard-working engineer to join our technical team.
Geocento is looking for an experienced software engineer able to work on both back and front ends of complex web applications. The job may be based either in Harwell, UK, or in Madrid, Spain, with regular trips between the two locations.
Geocento was established five years ago with the goal of “making earth images accessible”, and is aimed at improving the experience for the wide range of users who make use of satellite and airborne imagery in their businesses and operations, based on innovative web technologies and strong market development (www.geocento.com).
We are a small, committed team with offices in Harwell, UK and Madrid, Spain, with ambitious goals for the company and we are looking for enthusiastic and energetic individuals who can help ensure, and share in, our success. The successful candidate will support the CTO in developing Geocento’s web-based image technologies, ultimately taking responsibility for specific developments and projects, and as such will be a key member of the team. Furthermore, Geocento provides the opportunity for all of its staff to contribute in a broad sense to the evolution of the company and to make a real difference to its development, and the successful candidate would be expected to take an interest and support activities across business development, marketing and operations.
Proven experience required in:
- GWT (alternatively, very strong command of the Java language and the desire to learn GWT) and the basic web technologies and standards (HTML, JS, AJAX)
- Relational databases
- Java, JPA and servlet containers
- Standard software engineering good practices and techniques, including (agile) software development processes and tools
- A taste for building complex mashups, in particular involving map technology (Google Maps, OpenLayers,etc…)
- Enthusiastic manner and good team worker
- Good English and communication skills (oral and written)
- Experienced in Open Source GIS technology such as MapServer, GeoServer, Postgresql + postgis
- IT experience, hands-on experience of Linux, cloud computing, micro services
- Geospatial background, including one or both of GIS and earth observation.
About the Position
We offer a competitive and flexible remuneration package for an initial one year position that we expect to become permanent, with the potential for long term benefits that early involvement in a growing company can bring.
How to Apply
Please provide a cover letter and a CV by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or feel free to email first for more information. Applications will be reviewed on and after 25h November 2016 until the position is filled, and we are keen for the successful candidate to be able to start as soon as possible.